Masters in School Leadership
Being a leader means having the passion and integrity to influence others, lay the foundation for change, and accomplish related goals. Administrators and principals have the unique opportunity to become leaders of our country’s youth and as such, are some of the most significant and influential leaders today.
Find a School
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 445,400 education administrator jobs in 2008. That number is expected to grow by almost 8% by the year 2018. This projected growth is primarily the result of more children enrolling in school, and the greater administrative responsibilities being placed on schools.
As the need for more school administrators grows, so do their duties and responsibilities. Administrators need a wide variety of skills and knowledge to continuously improve their schools and their students’ learning outcomes. To ensure success at their schools, administrators gain expertise in management and organizational development by earning master’s degrees in school leadership.
How can a master’s program in school leadership help me as an administrator?
The main goal of any school administrator is to establish standard policies and educational goals, while creating a safe and supportive learning environment. Master’s programs in school leadership help educators expand their knowledge of disciplinary policy, curriculum design, and organizational development needed to achieve that goal.
Join a School Leadership Organization
Consider some of the following organizations open to Administrators:
Future administrators learn the best strategies for teaching reading, writing, math, and other core subjects in graduate school classes. This allows them to set the academic tone for their school by recognizing what students need to learn, and how best to implement effective teaching methods in the classroom.
School administrators must stay up-to-date on current practices in education. Graduate school gives potential administrators resources and information on the latest technologies and strategies used for effective instruction. This technology not only benefits student learning, but professional growth for teachers as well.
As leaders, administrators guide teachers and set examples for students to follow. Courses in graduate school are designed to give new administrators the tools needed to lead teachers toward valuable educational practices, so both teachers and students benefit.
Graduate school teaches administrators how to manage effective community and administrative relationships. This allows administrators to practice useful communication with staff and parents, and get the community involved for the purpose of improving the overall quality of the school.
Courses taught in Master’s in Education Leadership programs
- Foundations in Educational Leadership – These classes are designed to introduce teachers to the theories and practices of school leadership. Administrators learn to develop a deep understanding of the challenges faced by modern educational leaders.
- School Law – This course is an overview of the legal aspects included in education and school, state, and federal regulations. Administrators learn about the history and recent developments in education law.
- Change and Innovations in Education – The focus of this class is on the skills and processes needed for planned change in education. Administrators develop an understanding of practical change and planning, the factors that affect change, and educational program innovations.
- Supervision and Leadership – This type of class focuses on effective communication, encouraging high levels of education, and creating a safe and supportive learning environment. Administrators learn all aspects of managing and supervising staff and students.
- Field-based Internship – This is generally a school-based internship designed for administrators to practice school leadership and management duties. Administrators will be assigned a mentor or adviser.
How will a graduate degree in school leadership help my students?
School leadership courses offer many opportunities for administrators learn how to become effective advocates for students. It is the principal’s responsibility to make sure that every student in his or her school is receiving the independent help that is necessary for success.
As the leader, it is important for administrators to make sure that all teachers stay current on common learning disabilities and the latest teaching strategies. If a student is struggling in a certain area, principals must ensure resources are available for that student.
Teachers also need to understand and administer assessments, and that starts with the administration. It is the principal’s responsibility to ensure teachers are effectively teaching certain benchmarks needed for every student to succeed.
For example, if teachers are teaching vocabulary, they need to know the best instructional practices for vocabulary. This ensures each and every student is reaching his or her goal. If the majority of the students aren’t learning vocabulary, the fault ultimately lies with the administration.
If you’re interested in learning more, research schools offering master’s degree programs in School Leadership.
Schools Offering Accredited Education Programs
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Instructional Leadership - Master of Education
- Educational Leadership - Master of Education
- Leadership in Higher Education - Master of Education
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed: Curriculum & Instruction: Leadership
- Master Degree in Educational Leadership
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction - Educational Technology Leadership
- And more...
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Educational Administration
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Higher Education - College Administration and Leadership
- MS in Higher Education - Student Affairs
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Advanced Studies in Secondary Education & Teacher Leadership (Master of Education) - Online
- Administrative Program for Principals (Master of Education) - Online
- Administrative Program for Principals (Certification) - Online
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
Fordham University’s online Master of Science in Teaching (M.S.T.) program prepares aspiring teachers (grades 1–6) to address the needs of today’s students. In addition to providing essential skills and experience, the M.S.T. program prepares students seeking initial teaching certification. The program offers two tracks: an M.S.T. in Childhood Education and an M.S.T. in Childhood Special Education (Dual Certification). Both combine live classes, interactive coursework, and placement experiences to prepare students to become effective teachers.
- MS in Teaching-Childhood Education